The Adaptavist CALM methodology
CALM is a set of application lifecycle management tools, a common language and a methodology for initiating, delivering and managing your software and applications.
Whether you're looking at strategic imperatives like outsourcing, mergers and acquisitions, distributed teams or just getting innovative products to market quickly, the reality of the modern Enterprise is that IT is core to your business processes. What is more important, however, is that business requirements, software and applications interact in productive, efficient, synergistic ways.
Looking at the lifecycle as a whole
Adaptavist’s CALM approach understands the complexity of the application lifecycle, and the fact that it is often actually many, often poorly understood, processes working together. Our approach takes a holistic view that harnesses technical understanding with awareness of realities of the business.
Software and applications are now core to almost every business process from finance and logistics to product development and marketing. The IT department can no longer be only a cost centre, it needs to be an enabler that adds value and competitive difference to justify its budget.
Adaptavist helps organisations ensure that the right balance, the right process and the right tools are present and maintained in their application lifecycle. This means that they can turn ideas into options, options into opportunities, and opportunities into value. Applications are developed and software assets can be supported and maintained in a managed, controlled way.
A complete, common methodology
Adaptavist CALM provides the business with a methodology and common language for initiating, delivering and managing applications. By analysing the application lifecycle based on the following areas, Adaptavist helps its clients improve their planning and execution.
- Requirements and strategy: requirements gathering and analysis, scope definition, stakeholder management, high level design, functional and non-functional specification
- Design resourcing and planning: technical specification, resource identification, agile backlog, low level architecture
- Transition build and test: build and test, benchmark testing, resource utilisation and tracking, artifact production, technical documentation
- Release to operations: user acceptance testing (UAT) and quality control, organisational change management, release and platform integration, penetration testing, operational documentation
- Operational feedback: incident and problem management, user feedback, stakeholder feedback, capacity management
Benchmarking and moving towards CALM
The Adaptavist CALM model acts as a means of benchmarking where each organisation is today as well as a basis for measuring progress. By scoring capability and maturity in each area, we can provide a visual dashboard which forms the basis for monitoring progress and prioritising actions. We can also recommend and implement the appropriate application lifecycle management tools for your organisation.
Adaptavist CALM is delivered using best of breed technologies and tools. Implementation is based around the Atlassian stack of application lifecycle management tools. These tools, whilst now near ubiquitous, deliver their true value when carefully deployed and managed in the context of a wider framework like CALM.